Southsea seafront challenge is toughest yet for David

WELL DONE David Griffin at the end of his latest challenge for charity
WELL DONE David Griffin at the end of his latest challenge for charity

Winchester jail put in special measures

Have your say

FOR more than eight tortuous hours disabled campaigner David Griffin dragged his frail body along Southsea seafront as he finished yet another charity challenge.

Surrounded by friends, relatives and supporters the 57-year-old completed the unbelievable feat of willpower after years in a wheelchair.

Having trained himself to walk a miracle mile David, of Lower Wingfield Street, Landport, has taken on greater and greater challenges to raise money for Help for Heroes.

He has raised more than £3,000 for the charity, despite suffering from Allgrove Syndrome, an incurable muscle-wasting condition, which forced him to spend five years in a wheelchair.

Now he has walked almost a mile-and-a-half from South Parade Pier to the Royal Marines Museum in Eastney.

As previously reported in The News, he has already completed 21 circuits of the Charles Dickens Centre sports hall, in Lake Road, Portsmouth, with the aid of a walking frame.

And last year he walked even further in scorching temperatures at HMS Nelson.

David is believed to be the oldest living sufferer of Allgrove Syndrome, a degenerative condition similar to MS which sees the nervous system decline faster than the rest of the body.

He said: ‘It took me more than eight hours but I had great support from my family and friends all the way.

‘The walk itself was very painful and hard on both my upper and lower body, but with will power I did it.

‘I’m still dedicated to raising as much as I can for our armed forces.’

Along the route many members of the public cheered him on and offered David donations and support – including some soldiers who thanked him for his efforts on their behalf.

His brother-in-law Kevin Purdy, 62, of Francis Avenue, Southsea, said this had been his toughest challenge to date.

‘He nearly didn’t make it,’ he said. ‘Towards the end it was a real struggle.

‘I think it was harder than he had appreciated – the terrain didn’t make it easy at all.

‘But it was the longest he has actually stood for since I have known him.’

He added: ‘He just wouldn’t give in, it was really inspirational.’