Spider bite TV show helped save my leg

Share this article
Students at Gomer Junior School have been learning the art of fencing. Picture: Shutterstock

En garde! New school sport is having the desired classroom effect

A businessman has told how he avoided having his leg amputated after seeing the cure for a spider bite on a TV documentary.

Brian Holman returned from a holiday in Side, Turkey, with a blister on his ankle and believing he was suffering from sunburn.

The 55-year-old, of Inverness Avenue, Fareham, grandfather watched the blister grew larger and the poison start to eat away at his skin - but doctors were baffled and after two unsuccessful operations could not find a cure.

After three-and-a-half years in a wheelchair Brian finally realised he had been bitten by a tiny brown recluse spider after seeing a woman suffering from the same symptoms on the Discovery Channel.

He said: 'It was the most frightening experience of my life. I had seen countless doctors and received countless treatments but they all told me I would lose my leg.'

After telling his GP about the TV show Brian was sent to leg expert Pauline Edney at Fareham College's Community Leg Care Centre to be nursed back to full health.

He said: 'I will never forget the look of horror on her face when she saw the wound. She told me straight she didn't think she would be able to heal it.'

But after six weeks of cleaning, dressing and compressing the wound, it started to heal and Brian has now almost completely recovered.