Storm hits hard across Portsmouth area

Leon Williams was jailed at Portsmouth Crown Court

‘I’ll do life for killing you’ – Chilling words of thug who brutally attacked girlfriend

Have your say

HEAVY rain and winds travelling at up to 80mph have wreaked havoc across the area.

A number of roads were blocked due to fallen trees, firefighters were called out following structural damage to buildings and police were inundated with more than 2,000 calls.

The tree down in Landport Terrace. Picture: Andre Guedeney

The tree down in Landport Terrace. Picture: Andre Guedeney

Hampshire police said of the 2,033 calls it received yesterday 759 were road-related and to reports of flooding or fallen trees.

As reported, some Portsmouth residents received hoax calls from a man telling them to evacuate their homes during the storm last night.

Hampshire police said anyone required to evacuate their home in bad weather conditions would first receive a personal visit from a uniformed police or fire officer.

In Southsea fallen trees led to the closure of Landport Terrace and Hampshire Terrace from St Michaels Road to Museum Road. However the stretch was reopened late morning.

A damaged house n Langstone Road, Portsmouth

A damaged house n Langstone Road, Portsmouth

Pier Road and Duisberg Way were shut due to flooding.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service received more than 230 emergency calls and attended some 120 incidents in the 24 hours up until 8am today.

Elsewhere across the patch roads were blocked by fallen trees, including Locks Heath Park Road in Locks Heath.

Part of the A3 northbound near Horndean was shut after a fallen tree blocked the road.

More than a dozen firefighters were called to the area at about 12.30am after one car was struck by the tree and another crashed.

Luckily no-one was hurt, the fire service said, however all occupants were attended to by ambulance crews.

Villagers in Hambledon were relieved after surviving the storm without losing power.

As reported, sailors from HMS Collingwood in Fareham were called to the village last night.

Speaking from the Hambledon Incident Room, Neil Mason said: ‘We got away without a power cut, which was a saving grace.

‘The navy had a relatively quiet night because we didn’t have the power cuts we were worried about.

‘We had about five trees down, one of which has fallen on a car and the owner’s away.’

He added people expect it will be another six weeks before the water recedes.

In Lee-on-the-Solent a tree fell on Milvil Road near St Faith’s Church.

In Gosport, heavy rain flooded a loft at a home in North Cross Street at 5am.

Firefighters had to isolate the power as the water was pouring through the light fittings and hard-wired smoke alarms, causing them to spark.

The crew fitted plastic sheeting in the roof and battery powered smoke alarms in the home so the couple with their baby were safe.

A tree had also fallen over in a garden in Kensington Road, in Gosport, at around 11pm.

Firefighters in Fareham were called to help with the rescue of 32 diners from a cafe in Milford on Sea in the New Forest.

In Portsmouth two garages were damaged after a gable end fell on them.

Firefighters from Southsea were called out to the incident in Langstone Road, Milton, Portsmouth, last night.

Part of the path was shut outside the two homes.

Meanwhile South West Trains suspended services across the area last night for safety reasons.

Its first trains today ran empty to enable safety checks on routes to be carried out.

South West Trains has warned passengers that some routes could be subject to delays, short notice cancellations and alterations due to ongoing bad weather.

Hampshire police said its response working group would continue to work round-the-clock to help keep people safe.

A spokeswoman said: ‘Our control room received 2033 calls in 24 hours yesterday - twice the daily average; 759 of which were road related with many reporting fallen trees and flooding.

‘We are working very closely with all of our partner agencies around the clock to get the trees removed and the roads returned to safe conditions as soon as possible.’

‘An amber weather warning of wind from the Met Office remained in place across Hampshire this morning with gusts of up to 80mph predicted in some areas.

The Met Office said winds were set to ease throughout the day.

However it warned the public about more potential travel disruptions, trees being uprooted, possible damage to buildings and large waves along the south coast.’

Last night the storm caused disruptions to Wightlink sailings and the St Clare Fishbourne to Portsmouth Harbour service could not dock.

Passengers were stranded for two hours while the crew waited for conditions to improve.

Winds were up to 70 miles per hour at the time and St Clare’s captain decided to return to Fishbourne.

If you’ve been affected by the storms, please call the newsdesk on 023 92622118.

If you have pictures or video, please send them to