The calm after the storm as the Isle of Wight Festival gets going at last!

TOP TUNE Elbow frontman Guy Garvey on stage at the Isle of Wight Festival yesterday
TOP TUNE Elbow frontman Guy Garvey on stage at the Isle of Wight Festival yesterday
Share this article
Cllr Hannah Hockaday

Building work begins on new £3.2m Cosham school

Have your say

HEADLINER and Florida native Tom Petty may not have quite bought the weather with him, but it was a marked improvement on the night before at the Isle of Wight Festival.

The main arena was opened late yesterday afternoon, as Feeder kicked off proceedings with a set of raucous pop-rock.

SOLDIERING ON The mud at the festival

SOLDIERING ON The mud at the festival

And chart favourites Noah and the Whale and Example went down a storm.

Elbow’s anthemic songs captivated the audience – One Day Like This proving a major hit – before Petty took the stage.

Although many of the younger people in the crowd didn’t know his material, his melodic rock, including Free Falling and Into the Great Wide Open went down a storm.

And a dry Friday helped most of the site recover after the torrential downpours of Thursday.

Those arriving yesterday found it much easier to get to the site at Seaclose Park near Newport than those who arrived early on Thursday, when, hundreds were caught in huge traffic jams stretching miles back from the site to the ferryport.

After getting the Isle of Wight ferry on Thursday at 1pm, Bill Lennon eventually arrived at the festival at 8am yesterday.

The 55-year-old, who works in Portsmouth, said: ‘We sat in a car park for hours, then the police said they’d show us a back way to the festival.

‘So with loads of other cars we went all round the houses and still ended up at the back of a queue.

‘Then we eventually made it to the front in the early hours, only to be taken all the way to a different car park to wait again. It was ridiculous.

‘They’ve had years of sun and obviously haven’t planned at all for rain.

‘Everyone knew it was coming, the festival organisers seem to be the only ones caught unawares.’

Kayleigh Edwards, 24, of Jessie Road, Southsea, said: ‘I can’t believe how long they kept us waiting in the mud.

‘I just want to get on and start having fun.’

But enough was enough for some festival-goers.

Some were seen leaving the site in defeat already.