Portsmouth pub hopes to steer away drink-drivers
Experienced pub manager James Anderson has joined forces with Tom Speerling to become the new licensees of The Swan in High Street, Cosham.
And one of their first acts in the job was to support our initiative aimed at clearing the roads from drink-drivers over the Christmas and new year period.
Mr Anderson, 39, said: ‘Providing a free soft drink to designated drivers is essential as a lot will be coming in from Portsmouth during the Christmas period and we’ve all seen the horror stories connected to drink-driving.
‘The Steer Clear campaign is a valid and worthwhile objective that, at the end of the day, is going to get the issue out there.
‘It is about being responsible and showing the community that if you want to have a good time, it doesn’t have to involve getting into a car and driving.’
Councillors ordered The Swan to close for 21 days last month after a man’s skull was fractured in a brawl, as reported in The News.
But it was allowed to keep trading after a raft of agreements were put in place by the police and owners Punch Taverns. Mr Anderson, 39, has his sights firmly set on transforming the pub into a family-friendly venue.
‘I was asked to come down from Worcestershire and was told there was a few issues with the pub in the past. I went on the internet and read a report about an horrific attack there, but when I came down I saw it was a community pub with a lot of potential’, added Mr Anderson.
‘We have to grasp its roots again and become a community pub. With all the pubs closing down, this has to be one of the pubs that gives the community somewhere to go.’
The pub will be holding quiz nights on Mondays, poker nights on Thursdays, live music at weekends and will be introducing a new menu with fresh, home-cooked food in the new year.
Mr Anderson added: ‘We just want people to come back and give it another chance. It’s not going to be managed like it was before.’
ROLL OF HONOUR
· Bar Risa – Gunwharf Quays
· The Blue Bell Inn, South Street, Emsworth
· Carisbrook Arms, Carisbrooke Road, Gosport
· Clarence Tavern, Clarence Road, Gosport
· Delme Arms, Cams Hill, Fareham
· Five Alls, Forton Road, Gosport
· Harvest Home, Denmead
· Old Vic, St Pauls Road, Portsmouth
· Park Tavern, Park Road, Gosport
· The Foresters Arms, Anns Hill Road, Gosport
· Isambard Kingdom Brunel, Guildhall Walk
· The White Swan, Guildhall Walk, Portsmouth
· The Trafalgar, Edinburgh Road, Portsmouth
· The Lord Palmerston, Palmerston Road, Southsea
· The John Jacques, Fratton
· The Sir John Baker, North End
· The First Post, Cosham
· Sir Alec Rose, Port Solent
· The Waterhole Bar, Portsmouth
· The Admiral Drake, Silverlock Close, Mile End
· Artillery Arms, Hester Road, Milton
· Coach & Horses, London Road, Hilsea
· Gordon Arms, Fareham
· Golden Lion, Fareham
· Leopold Tavern, Albert Road, Southsea
· Newcome Arms, Newcome Road, Fratton
· Northcote Hotel, Francis Ave, Southsea
· Old Customs House, Gunwharf Quays
· The Swan, Cosham
· Owens, Palmerston Road, Southsea
To sign up your pub email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (023) 9262 2540