IT was a perfect day for pot plants at Hayling Horticultural Society’s main summer show.
The annual event attracts scores of competitors to exhibit their fruit, veg, flowers, plants and floral artwork at Hayling Island Community Centre.
Jan Mitchell, who helps organise the event each year, said that although the number of dahlias entered was down on the usual amount, there was an explosion of pot plant entries.
She said: ‘Star of the pot plant show was Maggie Martin’s scarlet-flamed Mandevilla Bella, or Peruvian Vine, which justly won her a first prize.
‘The hall was filled with autumn scents and colours by 10.30am when judging began.
‘It had taken a great deal of work by many volunteers to reach that point.
‘Later, more than 250 visitors enjoyed the spectacle and the team of afternoon tea helpers did a roaring trade as did all the attractions around the hall.’
by TIM BIRKBECK
Hayling Island, Horticultural society late summer show.
MAIN SUMMER SHOW:
- Banksian Medal: Wendy Sandham, exhibitor gaining most prize money in vegetable, fruit & flower sections.
- Garden News Shield: David Johns, Runner up to Banksian Medal winner.
- Allnat Trophy: Allan Chivers, exhibitor gaining most points in open dahlia classes.
- N.D.S silver medal & diploma: Allan Chivers, best exhibit in all dahlia classes.
- N.D.S bronze medal & diploma: Allan Chivers, second best exhibit in all dahlia classes.
- Flower Cup: Malcolm Sprinks, most points in open flower classes.
- Solent Fuchsia Cup: Wendy Sandham, best exhibit in fuchsia class.
- Charles Skinner Trophy: Wendy Sandham, most points in open fruit classes.
- Bernard Rouse Trophy: Wendy Sandham, most points in the open vegetable classes.
- Heather Sports Cup: David Johns, most points in members only classes.
- Bradley Cup: David Johns, most points in members only vegetable classes.
- Junior Cup: Florence Robinson, most points in junior classes.
- Cleeve Salver: David Johns, most points in cookery classes
- Skipper Trophy; Gordon Cooper, For the heaviest onion.
FLORAL ART SHOW:
- Any Old Iron: 1st Christina Jones; 2nd Debbie Hick; 3rd Joan Ramsbottom; Highly commended Gilly Webster and Hazel Williams.
- Gold and Fire: 1st Debbie Hick; 2nd Hazel Williams;3rd Linda Jones; Highly commended Joan Ramsbottom.
- Tapestry of Colour: 1st Debbie Hick; 2nd Gilly Webster; 3rd Christina Jones; Highly commeneded Hazel Williams.
- Floral Bowl: Debbie Hicks, most points in floral art classes.
- Diploma: Debbie Hicks, judge’s personal choice.