ELIZABETH Young knows how much people are struggling to afford food this Christmas.
She delivers hampers to families across the Gosport area on behalf of Lee Community Church and has seen a big increase in people needing help.
The group are now feeding 158 families, with three or four new ones being referred to them every week.
And they are backing The News campaign to feed the poor, homeless and isolated this Christmas.
Elizabeth said: ‘It’s brilliant. It brings awareness of how some people do struggle.
‘We have got more and more families now – it’s increasing.
‘There’s extra pressure on budgets especially at this time of the year.
‘Families want to provide presents for their children and food is more expensive at the moment.
‘This time of the year, it’s nice to give them something extra, something a bit more special.
‘It will make Christmas more affordable for them.
‘It’s lovely to see the expression on their faces.
‘It’s such a relief for them.’
Trolleys have been filling up across the area and representatives from food banks have picked up the food to make them into festive hampers for those in need in our area.
Elizabeth has already collected a trolley-load of food from Sainsbury’s in Fareham.
‘It’s amazing,’ she said. ‘It shows how generous people can be once they know the need is there.
‘And it’s good of the supermarkets to get involved too.’
To make a donation to the appeal, select one of the items from the shopping list on the right and donate it at one of our collection points across the area.
Food will continue to be collected by food banks right up until Christmas Eve when it will be handed out to needy families.
WHERE YOU CAN DONATE
· Tesco, Crasswell Street
· Tesco, Clement Atlee Way, North Harbour
· Sainsbury’s, Commercial Road
· Sainsbury’s, Fitzherbert Road, Farlington
· Asda, Bridge Shopping Centre, Fratton
· Morrisons, Anchorage Park
· Portsmouth Food Bank, Kings Church, Elm Grove.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 12pm until 2pm
· Morrisons, Lakesmere Road, Horndean
· Asda, Larchwood Avenue, Bedhampton
· Asda, Portland Road, Waterlooville
· Tesco, Solent Road
· Leigh Park Baptist Church, Stockheath Road.
Monday - Thursday from 9am to 12pm
· Asda, Speedfields Park
· Tesco, Quay Street
· Sainsbury’s, Broadcut
· Fareham and Gosport Basics Bank, Aspect House, Westbury Road, Fareham. Open Monday and Friday - 1pm until 3pm, Wednesday 12.30pm until 1.30pm.
· Morrisons, Walpole Road
· Jacobs Well Church, Layton Road, Bridgemary 10am to midday on Tuesdays.
· The News Centre, Hilsea
· Gosport office, 42 High Street, Gosport
· Fareham office, 88 West Street, Fareham
· Havant office, 7 West Strreet, Havant
Alcohol free wine
Box of chocolates
Jar of sauce for chicken
Tin of fruit
Chocolate selection boxes