Tortoise and cat saved from Fareham house fire

Zebedee the tortoise had a lucky escape after he was rescued from a house fire by firefighters.

Monday, 21st March 2016, 5:45 pm
Updated Monday, 21st March 2016, 7:52 pm
Zebedee the Tortoise with watch manager Dave Higgins after being rescued from a blaze in Gudge Heath Lane, Fareham Picture: Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service

A blaze took hold in the detached house in Gudge Heath Lane, Fareham, just before 3.30pm today.

The fire started in the conservatory when a heat lamp that had been helping Zebedee to wake up from hibernation fell into his bedding, causing it to catch light.

Luckily a neighbour heard the smoke alarm sounding in the house, which was empty apart from Zebedee and the family cat, and called the fire service.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Firefighters from Fareham Fire Station rushed to the scene and quickly put out the flames, and rescued the family’s pets.

Watch manager Dave Higgins said: ‘He was very lucky that the neighbour heard the smoke alarm as that saved him, the cat and the family home.

‘If it had been left any longer then we would’ve been attending a full building fire.’

The fire service called the homeowner, who returned to find the home had suffered smoke damage.

Mr Higgins urged people to be careful when using a heating device and to follow the manufacturer’s guidance when fitting them. He also reminded people of the importance of having working smoke alarms.

A fire crew from Cosham was also called out.