Tortoise rescued in Droxford blaze

Share this article

NATIONAL: Man due in court over manslaughter of Holby City actor’s daughter

Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS rescued a tortoise when its bedding caught fire.

Twelve firefighters plucked 18-month-old Turnstone to safety after wood chips in its aquarium caught fire.

The crews from Bishop’s Waltham and Droxford fire stations rescued the reptile from a house at South Hill, Droxford, near Fareham, after a neighbour heard a smoke detector go off and dialled 999.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and a team from one fire engine put out the fire at 4.30pm yesterday.

It is believed it started from a heating bulb in the tortoise’s cage which ignited the wood chippings and spread to the dining room.

Turnstone is fit and well after her ordeal.