Denmead fire: Residents tell of '˜massive explosion' as blaze started in workshop

MORE than 50 firefighters were involved in battling a blaze at a garage workshop and stables in Denmead.

Thursday, 3rd January 2019, 8:59 am
Updated Thursday, 10th January 2019, 11:35 am
The fire in Sheepwash Lane, Denmead, following an explosion at a workshop

A local couple, who asked not to be named, have described the '˜terrifying' moment they were first aware of the fire.

'˜We heard a number of bangs which at first we thought were fireworks going off. We then heard a massive explosion which shook the walls of the house. We ran outside into the garden to see the garage and the stables had gone up and were engulfed in the blaze. We called the fire service and were informed they were already on their way,' explained the couple.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The fire in Sheepwash Lane, Denmead, following an explosion at a workshop

In total, eight fire engines and an aerial ladder platform were sent to tackle the blaze with two people reported as having suffered minor burns.

'˜The horses in the nearby field began to panic and so I ran across to try and clam them down. It was really frightening for the animals and everyone involved,' added the couple.

Read More

Read More
Denmead fire is now under control, say firefighters

After being notified about the fire, the emergency services closed the surrounding roads for several hours and nearby residents were told to keep windows and doors shut to keep out the smoke.

The fire seen from a couples garden after hearing the explosion.

A spokesman for the Fire Service said: '˜We were called to an incident at a workshop and agricultural buildings at 4.08 pm. Fire crews found two people with minor burns who have since been sent to hospital.'

Portchester Fire Crew have also tweeted that '˜the whole building '“ 90 metres by 70 metres '“ was ablaze'.

Whilst a full investigation is currently being carried out to ascertain the cause of the fire, the crews involved have confirmed they believe acetylene cylinders containing gas were involved in the explosion.