Family pets saved from fire at Southsea terraced house

WORKING fire alarms helped save a family's home and pets from being destroyed by a blaze, a fire chief has said.

Friday, 5th October 2018, 8:38 pm
Updated Friday, 5th October 2018, 9:49 pm

A terrace home in Cleveland Road, Southsea, narrowly avoided being wrecked after a small fire ignited in the kitchen last night. 

Two fire crews from Southsea were called after a neighbour heard a smoke alarm sounding inside the home.

Teams quelled the fire '“ which was caused by a kitchen panel being left on a heated hob '“ and saved a terrier cross and hamster.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Crew manager Richard Furse said: '˜We had just finished when a woman and her two children arrived back home. She seemed very shocked.

'˜If it wasn't for the smoke alarm it would have been a fully developed fire. The dog and hamster were very lucky.'

The fire sparked at about 7.15pm. Crews left the scene at 8pm after clearing smoke from the home.

No other properties were damaged during the incident.