Firefighters called after man leaves pork joint in oven and goes shopping

Firefighters were called to a flat in Fratton this morning after the owner left a pork joint in the oven.

Friday, 31st March 2017, 12:07 pm
Updated Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 6:52 pm
Foster Road. Picture: Google Maps

Three crews from Southsea Fire Station received the report just after 11am when a delivery driver spotted smoke coming the envelope hatch of the second floor flat in Foster Road.

A spokesman from the station said the owner had been out shopping at the time but returned by the time crews arrived.

He admitted that he left a pork joint cooking in the oven and had gone out.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The firefighters used breathing apparatus and a hose reel to put out the fire.

The spokesman added: ‘We would like to remind everyone to make sure that when cooking do not leave the food unattended.

‘In this case the situation could have been a lot worse.’