Residents evacuated from Portsmouth highrise

FIREFIGHTERS evacuated all residents of a Portsmouth highrise last night, after reports of smoke rising from the building.

Thursday, 1st November 2018, 8:35 am
Updated Thursday, 1st November 2018, 9:35 am

Fire crews from across the Solent region were called to White Swan Road in Portsmouth just after 2am this morning.

Smoke had risen after a heater was left on behind a leather sofa in a fifth floor apartment.

A spokesman from Havant Fire Station said: '˜The incident was attended by Southsea, Cosham, Fareham, Portchester and us.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

'˜There was a lot of smoke that had started spreading from the apartment.

'˜Everybody was evacuated and fortunately there were no injuries.'