Warning after candles left burning cause fire in Southsea home

FIREFIGHTERS in Southsea are warning people to not leave candles burning when they leave the house.

Friday, 21st October 2016, 9:13 pm
Updated Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 8:10 pm

The crew were called to a fire this evening after a home-owner left candles burning in his living room.

A cabinet in the room caught alight and the neighbours had to call 999.

A spokesman from Southsea fire station said: ‘We were called to a fire after the resident left the house but still had candles lit.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

‘Luckily they had smoke alarms which activated otherwise it would have been a lot worse.

‘You should never leave candles burning or items plugged in when you leave home.’

The crew were able to put out the small blaze, at Alhambra Close, off Alhambra Road in Southsea, quickly.

They were called at 5.40pm.