Woman taken to hospital after flat fire in Southsea

A WOMAN has been taken to hospital after a fire last night in a first floor flat at Herbert Road, Southsea.

Wednesday, 9th January 2019, 11:11 am
Updated Thursday, 10th January 2019, 2:58 pm
Southsea Fire Service were called to a fire at Herbert Road.

Two fire engines were sent from Southsea Fire Station after being alerted at 8.33 pm. 

Crews used breathing apparatus and a jet hose to tackle the fire with the scene made safe by 9.45 pm.

The Fire Service have said that the fire was caused by a cigarette igniting the bedding.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The Fire service returned to the scene this morning.

The woman was given first aid before being taken to hospital due to smoke inhalation.

Despite the flat being fitted with a smoke detector, the alarm is not believed to have alerted the woman.

A spokesman for Southsea Fire Station said: '˜This is a reminder of how important it is for people to regularly check their smoke alarms and to ensure batteries are replaced.'