Tragedy of mum who jumped off bridge on the A3

Police confirmed a body was found in West Sussex yesterday

Body found in search for missing Portsmouth man Scot Mackenzie

Have your say

A MUM-of-two jumped from a bridge into traffic on the A3 after life got too much for her, an inquest heard.

Louise Malins, 48, died from multiple injuries after jumping 30ft from a bridge at Chalton Lane, Clanfield, on to the northbound A3.

An inquest at Portsmouth Guildhall heard she left her family sleeping and went to the bridge in the early hours of May 23 this year.

She had left two photocopies of a suicide note in the kitchen and another note was found on the road.

PC David Blake, from Fratton Roads Policing Unit, said Mrs Malins, of Windmill Close, Clanfield, had returned her husband’s bank card to him the previous night and gone to bed.

PC Blake said she was the sole carer for two mentally disabled children and her husband also had health problems.

He said it had ‘reached a point where she could not cope any more’.

The inquest was told she had gone to the doctors for mild depression in 2008 following a miscarriage, but otherwise had not received any medical treatment.

Pathologist Dr Basil Purdue said Mrs Malins died from serious head and chest injuries from the fall and after being hit by moving traffic.

Her husband Nigel Malins said he had asked his wife to go to the doctors.

Coroner David Horsley said the couple had obviously had a ‘tough time’ over the years.

‘You couldn’t make it up,’ said Mr Malins.

‘I would love to know, and I don’t think anyone can answer this, is why?’

Mr Horsley said: ‘Sadly the only person who can answer that is Louise herself.

‘Clearly she had many problems to deal with.

‘Life had dealt her a very bad hand.

‘From reading the note she left behind, I think the poor lady had simply had enough.’

He concluded that she had taken her own life while depressed.

Mr Horsley said: ‘I can’t imagine a loving wife or mother would do this unless she was feeling depressed.

‘Depression is an awful thing to happen.’

He added: ‘She would have been totally unaware. I think she would have been knocked out and died very quickly.’

Mr Malins said: ‘She did try very hard and did the best she could. It’s so sad.’