Tragic accident was to blame for much-loved motorcyclist’s death

A family picture of David Ayling
A family picture of David Ayling
Have your say

BIKER David Ayling died in a tragic accident when he lost control of his motorcycle after taking a corner, an inquest heard.

The 20-year-old had been riding alongside his three friends, who were in a Ford Focus car, when the crash happened at 7.30pm on Sunday, August 31.

They were on their way from the Bun Penny pub in Lee-on-the-Solent, where Mr Ayling worked as a chef, heading to Gunwharf Quays to see a film when came off his bike on the eastbound sliproad at Junction 11 on the M27, at Fareham.

Coroner David Horsley heard from police, witnesses and Mr Ayling’s friends and family at yesterday’s inquest.

Investigating PC Emma Clifford said: ‘The speed limit was not exceeded. The cause of the accident centres of the actions of the rider suffering a loss of traction with the road surface, most likely caused by acceleration.’

Mr Ayling’s friends appeared at the court and gave evidence. They said Mr Ayling insisted on riding his Kawasaki motorbike as he loved it so much.

Olivia Harmer, a passenger in the car, said: ‘It was a quiet Sunday evening. David was in front and went around the corner and on to the slipway. As he went by it looked like David’s back wheel was an ‘S’ shape.

‘It lost control at the back and lost balance. We could see David try and hold it down and in my eyes he couldn’t hold on and let go.’

After the accident, Mr Ayling’s two other friends Shane Fox and James Morgan immediately got out of the car and rushed to help. Miss Harmer said she was too upset to help.

Ross Prince, a recovery driver for Boarhunt, was behind the friends when the accident happened.

He said he saw Mr Ayling travelling along and then moments later he saw the scene of the crash.

Mr Prince grabbed a first aid kit from his truck and set about performing CPR on Mr Ayling, of Heritage Way, Gosport, for 25 minutes.

A statement from another witness, Richard Spry-Maurese, who was in a car with his wife and children and saw the crash, was read out in court.

It said: ‘As a result as my experience I have been unable to sleep and find it difficult to come to terms with the fact that I could not save the young man.’

The witnesses’ actions at the scene of the crash were praised by the coroner before he ruled Mr Ayling’s death as an accident.

After the inquest, Mr Ayling’s mother Rose Ayling, of Heritage Way, Gosport, thanked everybody for their support and for the people who stopped to help.

She said: ‘David was a very funny guy, He was a cheeky chappy and he was the kind of person you would want your daughter to bring home.

‘He got on with everybody and all the neighbours absolutely loved him.

‘He always had time for everybody else. Everybody is very upset.

‘It was a tragic accident.’