M27 closure: Full route for eastbound and westbound diversions as motorway is closed between Southampton and Romsey
MOTORISTS are facing another huge diversion on the M27 this weekend as an old bridge across the motorway is demolished.
It is the final stage in Highways England’s £19 million scheme to replace the A3057 Romsey Road bridge near junction 3, which began in April 2018.
Drivers will once again face a 55-mile diversion route between 9pm on Friday and 6am on Monday.
The new bridge was opened to traffic in December and now the old overpass is set to be demolished this weekend.
If you are planning on driving on the M27 this weekend, here are the diversion routes you need to be aware of:
The eastbound diversion entails a number of different routes, depending on direction and the type of vehicle.
Light vehicles will:
- be diverted off at M27 junction 2
- take the A36 northbound to the roundabout
- exit and take the A3090 Romsey Road
- continue on the A3090 until you reach the A27 bypass road which takes you to a roundabout
- exit the roundabout and rejoin the A3090, take a right turn and continue through Romsey
- continue on the A3090 until you nearly reach Winchester, take the exit to Badger Farm Road at the roundabout
- follow Badger Farm Road until the second roundabout, then take the exit to Hockley Link and join the M3 at junction 11.
- be diverted off the M27 at junction 2, take the A36 northbound to the roundabout, exit and take the A3090 Romsey Road
- continue until you reach A27
- take the A27 through North Baddesley to Chilworth roundabout
- exit the roundabout and take the M3 northbound
For eastbound traffic heading to Portsmouth:
- be diverted off at M27 junction 3
- take the M271 to the roundabout, then exit and take the A3057
- follow the A3057 until you reach the roundabout, exit and take the A27
- continue on the A27 until you reach the Chilworth roundabout
- exit and continue on the A27 Bassett Green Road heading eastbound until you reach junction with Stoneham Way
- follow A336 Stoneham Way and rejoin the M27 at junction 5
- be diverted off the M27 at junction 4, at the link to the M3
- follow the M3 northbound until you reach junction 9
- exit and take the A34 and follow it up to the junction with the A303
- follow the A303 westbound past Andover, continuing until you reach the Amesbury Bypass
- exit and take the A345 southbound
- follow the A345 until you reach Salisbury
- join the A36, continue on the road until you reach M27 junction 2 – and rejoin the motorway.
Any other diversions?
Romsey Road itself (the A3057) will also be closed across the bridge for safety reasons during the works. This applies to all road users including vehicles, pedestrians, cyclists and equestrians.
A signed diversion will be in place via the Chilworth Roundabout and North Baddesley.
Highways England have said that Romsey Road will close earlier than the motorway at 9pm on the first evening of works.
Will you be affected by the diversions this weekend? Let us know in the comments.