Portsmouth park and ride at Tipner closed after travellers move onto site

COUNCIL bosses have closed the city’s park and ride at Tipner due to a traveller encampment.

Monday, 27th September 2021, 3:00 pm
Updated Monday, 27th September 2021, 4:53 pm
Travellers pictured at Portsmouth's park and ride site in Tipner.

Around 10 vehicles were on site on Friday when The News revealed Portsmouth City Council had started court proceedings to move them on.

But today the council said it had been forced to shut the key transport hub.

A statement said: ‘The park and ride has been closed due to operational difficulties caused by the presence of travellers on the site.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

‘The eviction notice will go to court on Tuesday.

Read More

Read More
Court date fixed as Portsmouth City Council prepares to evict travellers illegal...

‘As soon as it is safe to do so, we will reopen the site and recommence the usual park and ride services.

‘Thank you for bearing with us, and we apologise for any inconvenience.’

It’s understood it is the first time travellers have used the park and ride in this way.

Magistrates are due to hear a bid to move them on at a hearing on Tuesday.

Councillor Lynne Stagg, member for traffic and transportation said: ‘Thank you for bearing with us as we temporarily close the Park and Ride as travellers are currently located at the site.

‘The eviction notice will go to court on Tuesday and, as soon as it is safe to do so, the park and ride buses will start running again.’

Travellers often move before courts make orders forcing them to do so.

For the latest information please follow @pandrportsmouth twitter.

A message from the Editor, Mark Waldron

We’ve slashed the cost of digital subscriptions to our website by 50 per cent for a limited time.

You can now subscribe here for unlimited access to our online coverage, including Pompey, for less than 13p a day.