THE search for a crew member of a cruise ship who is believed to have jumped overboard has been called off.
Fernandes Elroy, 33, from India, was employed as a barman on the MSC Opera which was sailing into Southampton early this morning.
In a statement MSC Cruises, which owns the liner, said staff were alerted at 5.30am on Tuesday that Mr Elroy was missing.
Solent Coastguard received a call just before 6am.
And CCTV, which was checked at 6.30am, allegedly showed Mr Elroy jumping overboard.
A large-scale search and rescue operation was launched, which included the Coastguard helicopter, based at Lee-on-Solent.
The Portland Coastguard helicopter and Bembridge and Selsey RNLI were part of the search.
But all units were stood down early this afternoon after nothing was found.
In a statement a spokesman for MSC Cruises said: ‘Mr Elroy was working as a bartender on board MSC Opera and had been working with MSC Cruises on several ships in the fleet since 2007.
‘The company’s thoughts and sympathy are with his family, friends, and colleagues.’