TRAFFIC disruption has been kept to a minimum following the reopening of a busy commuter route.
Motorists were allowed back through Northern Road Bridge, in Cosham, Portsmouth, on Friday, three days ahead of schedule.
As previously reported in The News, the bridge has been closed since workers began demolishing and replacing it in February.
Project manager Ashley Chaplin said though there hadn’t been any major problems, drivers shouldn’t get complacent.
‘We’re very pleased the road has reopened to general traffic ahead of schedule, but it is important drivers are aware the bridge is still a construction site,’ he said.
‘In particular, drivers should take care of cyclists and remember no overtaking is allowed on the bridge.
‘So far the reintroduction of traffic has gone smoothly, but narrow lanes and a restricted speed limit are in place.
‘Drivers are advised to allow extra time and use alternate routes where possible. We’re very grateful for everyone’s patience during the essential work and hope they will continue to bear with us for the duration of the project.’
During the closure, which affected all traffic except taxis, emergency vehicles and council vehicles, work was done to demolish and replace the eastern side.
The same will now be done on the western side.
Demolition of the eastern side covered a larger part of the bridge which is why there is now enough space for traffic to go through.
Narrow lanes are in place and the speed limit is restricted to 20mph.
The whole project is due to be finished in the winter.
Labour councillor John Ferrett, who represents Paulsgrove, said: ‘No-one has contacted to me to say they have had problems.
‘I think people recognise the bridge needs replacing.
‘The project has been well handled. The council is doing the best it can do in these circumstances.’