Sadness as man killed by train in Portsmouth

The British Transport Police were alerted to the incident at Hilsea station
The British Transport Police were alerted to the incident at Hilsea station
An emergency area on a smart motorway. The revamped M27 will have 13 such areas

More details have been announced for the M27 smart motorway scheme

Have your say

PEOPLE have spoken of their sadness after a man was killed by a train at a Portsmouth railway station.

British Transport Police were alerted at Hilsea station around 4.55am yesterday.

The man was declared dead at the scene by medics and the incident is not being treated as suspicious.

Readers left condolences on The News Facebook page.

Sally Robinson said: ‘Hope the driver is okay. Very sad.’

Becky Ryall said: ‘Very sad! Also awful for the driver of the train!

‘Thoughts are with both families.’

Eric Jones, 59, on Anchorage Park, Portsmouth, was at the station a few hours later waiting for a train to London.

‘It happens a lot around here,’ he said.

‘I used to work for Astrium nearby and it would happen around 12 times a year.

‘I normally get the train around that time of the morning and there’s usually only me and one other person around.

‘I don’t think any station should be un-manned.’

A British Transport Police spokesman said: ‘We were called to the line near Hilsea station shortly before 5am following reports of a body on the line.

‘Colleagues from Hampshire Constabulary and South Central Ambulance Service attended and a man was pronounced dead at the scene.

‘The man’s death is not being treated as suspicious, and our officers are now working to identify him and inform his family.

‘A file will be prepared for the coroner.

‘Medics from the local ambulance service also attended but the person was declared dead at the scene.’

The station was handed back to the operator shortly after 5.50am.

Commuters faced delays with cancellations and alterations to services running through the line.

Announcements were made at Hilsea station during the morning explaining delays were being caused because of police activity.

South West Trains posted a message on Twitter saying: ‘All lines are now open at Hilsea but 30-minute delays are expected until approximately 8am.’

It comes after a woman was killed by a train at Portchester on January 8, resulting in hour-long delays.

Please see an update on this story here