Teenager ‘critically ill’ after Wickham crash

INVESTIGATION Police photographing the moped and the motorbike last night.  Picture: Allan Hutchings
INVESTIGATION Police photographing the moped and the motorbike last night. Picture: Allan Hutchings
Picture: Steve Robards

Love ‘em or loathe ‘em, there’s no escaping potholes | Reader’s Letter

Have your say

A 16-YEAR-OLD boy is in critically ill in hospital after the moped he was riding collided with a motorbike.

Neighbours say they heard a loud crash at the junction of Wykeham Field and School Road, in Wickham, and tried to help the teenager and a 44-year-old man who was riding a blue Honda 1300cc motorbike.

SCENE A sign at the location of the crash

SCENE A sign at the location of the crash

The man, from Winchester was seen sitting up while the boy lay unconscious in the middle of the road after the collision, which happened at about 7.45pm on Wednesday.

The boy, from the Wickham area, who was riding a Red Peugeot Speedflight moped, was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital, in Cosham with life-threatening injuries.

Police say he remains there in a critical condition.

The man suffered potentially life-threatening injuries and was taken to Southampton General Hospital. His condition is now described by police as ‘serious but stable.’

One man, who lives in School Road, Wickham, said he heard a loud crash.

‘I went outside to see what had happened when I saw two males in the road,’ he said.

‘It wasn’t a nice scene. I called for an ambulance and before it arrived I tried my best to aid the boy because he looked in a particularly bad way.

‘I wanted to make sure he was as comfortable as possible.’

Matthew Bailey, 50, who was on his way to Fareham from his home in Manor Close, Wickham, said he saw a lot of police officers.

‘I wondered what had happened because you don’t normally see a large number of police cars in one area,’ he said.

‘I’ve known of a couple of motorbike crashes in Wickham now. It must be an incredibly distressing time for the teenager’s family. My heart goes out to them.’

Darron Barnes, 39, and his wife Camila, 38, were at their home in School Road when they saw flashes of blue lights through their window. Mr Barnes, who had seen the teenager on his moped before, said: ‘We opened the door to see what was going on and we knew straight away that something bad had happened. You get accidents happening around here all the time so it hasn’t come as a complete shock.’

It is not yet known what caused last night’s accident but Mr Barnes said vehicles regularly exceed the area’s 30mph limit.

‘If something isn’t done then more accidents are going to happen,’ he said.

‘A lot of the people who live here are families.’

Police closed School Road at its junction with Bridge Street and Fareham Road for more than five hours while investigators examined the scene.

The area was re-opened at about 1.20am.

Witnesses are asked to call Sgt Wayne Voller at Fratton Roads Policing Unit on 101 quoting Operation Dolman.

Alternatively call the Crimestoppers charity anonymously on 0800 555111.