‘Traumatic’ Portsmouth crash leaves teenager and man in induced comas

Views from the Coniston Hotel.

Travel: Postcard-perfect Coniston shows off the very best bits of Yorkshire

Have your say

A MAN and a 15-year-old boy suffered life-threatening head injuries in a serious crash in Portsmouth.

The teenager was riding a blue bike westbound on Eastern Road from Tangiers Road when he was hit by a blue Yamaha R1 motorbike being ridden by a 45-year-old man.

The crash took place on th Eastern Road yesterday. 'Picture: Marcin Jedrysiak

The crash took place on th Eastern Road yesterday. 'Picture: Marcin Jedrysiak

Both the boy and the motorcyclist were airlifted to hospital following the crash, which happened at about 3.05pm yesterday where they were each put into an induced coma.

At midnight last night their conditions was described by police as ‘life-threatening’.

Sergeant Wayne Voller from Fratton Roads Policing Unit said it appeared the 15-year-old was crossing the road at the lights just south of the Tangier Road junction when the accident happened.

He said it was unclear what the traffic signals were at the time.

Sgt Voller said: ‘It was a serious crash.

‘A 45-year-old male motorcyclist was travelling south on Eastern Road and collided with a 15-year-old pedal cyclist who was at the crossing.

‘Both have got serious injuries that at this stage are considered as life-threatening.

‘They are both from Southsea.’

The two injured people were taken to Southampton General Hospital by air ambulance.

Eye witness Peter Ford, 48, of Dunn Close, Southsea, said: ‘We were in the traffic heading north on Eastern Road. A bicycle went across the road and a motorbike hit him.

‘I was first on the scene as a first aider.

‘I just checked his airways, breathing, that sort of stuff, circulation – he was in and out of consciousness.

‘It was traumatic. The motorcyclist was in a bad way as well. Four or five people were calling 999 at the same time.’

Ella McCann, 17, of Milton, was at a nearby pier on Langstone Harbour with friends when she heard the crash.

She described the scene as ‘horrible’.

Ella said: ‘We heard a noise, at first we thought it was a car on the stones.

‘Then we came up and saw the people on the floor. It was really upsetting.’

Jordan Osborne, 18, of Milton, witnessed the aftermath of the crash. He said: ‘We rode over and saw everything was smashed up on the road.’

The road was closed to traffic following the accident so that police could investigate, causing gridlock and lengthy delays for commuters.

Sgt Voller appealed for witnesses to call101 quoting Operation Atria. Alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.