Two cut free after serious accident in Gosport

SCENE The A32 northbound. Picture: Steve Holmes
SCENE The A32 northbound. Picture: Steve Holmes

WATCH: Teenager rushed to hospital after crash in Portsmouth

Have your say

TWO people have been freed from a car following an accident involving a bus, a heavy goods vehicle and a car which has caused severe delays out of Gosport.

The A32 Gosport Road was closed northbound between Mill Road and the Old Gosport Road mini-roundabout and A27 Quay Street roundabout for more than two hours following the collision.

Emergency services were called at noon. Two fire crews from Fareham and one each from Portchester and Cosham were sent to the scene to cut free two of those unable to get out of the car.

South Central Ambulance Service received a call about the crash at 12.06pm. The car was trapped between a lorry and a bus. Two people were unable to get out of the car.

The ambulance service sent a rapid response team, an officer, a hazardous area response team and three double manned ambulances on the scene.

Firefighters cut free the pair and they were taken to the Queen Alexandra Hospital, Cosham, for treatment.

In a statement, a First Bus spokesperson said: ‘We can confirm that one of our vehicles, operating on Service 6, has been involved in a collision this afternoon with a car and a lorry.

‘The exact cause of the incident is not yet known but this will be fully investigated.

‘The bus was travelling from Gosport to Fareham at the time of the incident, with approximately four passengers on board.

‘All those passengers on board have been seen by paramedics at the scene of the incident; it is not yet known whether or not they have required hospital treatment.

‘Our thoughts at this time are with those who have been injured as a result of the collision.’

The closure of the main road, between Mill Road and the Old Gosport Road mini-roundabout & A27 Quay Street roundabout led to delays of at least 40 minutes northbound from Rowner Road. Newgate Lane also suffered delays of more than 20 minutes.

The queue of traffic leaving Gosport were as far back as to Titchborne Way on the A32, and on Newgate Lane back up to Cherque Way.