Young man killed after falling in front of train at Bedhampton station

DEATH 'Police at Bedhampton Station following an incident on the line.   'Picture: Ian Hargreaves  (111058-6)
DEATH 'Police at Bedhampton Station following an incident on the line. 'Picture: Ian Hargreaves (111058-6)
Business are losing out because of traffic congestion, a report warns

Traffic is costing businesses £12m says new report

Have your say

A TEENAGER has died after falling in front of a train.

The young man – believed to be 18 years old – was killed by the 7.45pm South West Trains service from Portsmouth Harbour to London Waterloo.

He fell from a Bedhampton railway station platform at about 8pm last night, which caused travel disruptions until about 9.30pm.

Passengers were delayed by more than an hour and services from Portsmouth were diverted through Eastleigh while police officers attended.

Inspector Mick Morriss, of the British Transport Police, said they were not treating the incident as suspicious.

He said: ‘We have recovered the body of a young man who was seen falling from the platform on to the track.

‘The only eyewitness was the train driver – who is very shaken but unhurt.

‘The man went under the wheels of the train and is believed to have been killed instantly.

‘He is around 18 years of age, and our priority now is to discover his identity and break the terrible news to his family.’

Jordan Ansell, 18, from Leigh Park, said he saw the police arrive and a body being placed into the back of a private ambulance.

‘It was a shock,’ he said. ‘I guessed that someone had jumped on to the tracks when I saw all the police and paramedics.

‘But you don’t expect to actually see someone like that. We didn’t know what to say, it was a strange feeling.’

Motorists were forced to turn back as the train came to a stop before Bedhampton station – blocking the level crossing.

Keith Bosley, 69, was trying to cross the railway line on foot to get home, but his route was blocked by police.

He said: ‘It’s an awful thing to happen, and I hope they get the trains moving again quickly.

‘I was just trying to get home, but it must be dreadful for people stuck on board. Not to mention the poor driver.’

James Diprose, 19, from Roman Way, was forced to wait for more than an hour for another train to arrive.

He said: ‘I knew something bad had happened when I saw the flashing lights.’

South West Trains spokeswoman Emma Knight said: ‘The 7.45pm service from Portsmouth Harbour was involved in an incident at approximately 8pm on Tuesday evening in which a person was fatally injured at Bedhampton station.

‘Our thoughts are with the family of the person who has died.

‘Emergency services attended and the incident has been declared as non-suspicious.

‘As a result, services from Portsmouth were being diverted via Eastleigh for approximately one hour and were unable to call at Bedhampton.’