Tumble dryer thought to be cause of pub blaze

Share this article
Fareham College

Fareham College scoops prestigious national award

Have your say

A FIRE, which saw seven people treated for smoke inhalation and one person got to hospital, is thought to have originated from a tumble dryer.

In total 16 firefighters went to The Crown Inn, in St George’s Square, Bishop’s Waltham, after a fire started in the pub’s beer cellar and storage area.

Early reports had said the fire had started in the basement kitchen.

Crews from, Bishop’s Waltham, Botley, and Wickham, used one hose reel, one jet and two breathing apparatus, to put out the fire.

The call came in at 11.09am today and the stop message came in at 1.37pm.

Watch manager Ady Smith said: ‘We got a call shortly after 11am and went to the pub to find a well-developed fire in the basement.

‘It was in the beer cellar and general storage area, and not the kitchen.

‘We evacuated the building and firefighters put out the blaze.

‘Early investigations show the fire started from the tumble dryer, but investigations are still on-going.’

South Central Ambulance Service sent the Hazardous Area Response Team, and ambulance officer, and ambulance crew and a rapid response vehicle.

Seven patients were treated, six for smoke inhalation, and one person was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital, in Cosham, for non-life threatening injuries.

The person has since been released.