Unattended cooking nearly starts fire in Leigh Park

A PAN that had boiled dry nearly sparked a blaze.

Saturday, 5th March 2016, 8:38 am
Updated Saturday, 5th March 2016, 8:44 am

Neighbours alerted the fire service when they heard a smoke alarm sounding in a second-floor flat in Soberton Road, Leigh Park, at 7.15pm last night.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The flat occupier, a woman, had fallen asleep while cooking.

A fire crew from Havant got into the flat via a second-floor window. They woke the lady up, who was not harmed, and cleared the smoke by 8pm.

A spokesman for the fire service reminded people of the importance of having a working smoke alarm and of staying alert while cooking.