TWENTY tonnes of waste went up in smoke at a blaze at a waste disposal centre near Portsmouth.
Four crews from across Fareham, Portchester and Cosham, rushed to tackle the fire at the Veolia waste site in Downend Road, Portchester.
The fire sparked inside a single area of the storage shed at the facility, at about 3.20am today.
Firefighters used two water pumps and eight breathing apparatuses during the operation at the site, which is at the top of Portsdown Hill.
They battled the flames for more than three hours before eventually containing the incident. The building’s sprinkler system had also been triggered.
Fire crews left the scene just after 6.20am.
There was no damage to the fabric of the building and Veolia said the site was fully operational this morning with no environmental impact.
Nobody was reported to have been injured during the early-morning emergency.