Update: Major Portsmouth road could stay partly shut for four days after water main bursts

Police outside Wilmcote House, Portsmouth

Residents had to be signed in to Portsmouth flat block after police incident

Have your say

A major Portsmouth road which was closed after a water main burst this morning could stay partly shut for four days.

Engineers are working to repair London Road, which was shut in both directions between Kirby Road and Stubbington Avenue after the incident occured just at approximately 2am this morning.

The area was flooded and that there was mud and other debris on the road,


Picture slideshow here


The water main that burst is one of the largest in Portsmouth and the incident caused loss of pressure and disruption to supplies in some homes.

A statement from Ian Limb, spokesperson for Portsmouth Water said: ‘It may not be possible to fully reopen the road for about another four days. Access is being maintained for nearby residents.

‘At approximately 2am this morning a large 18-inch main burst in London road between Montague Road and Stubbington Avenue.

‘Our staff were on the scene straight away and thanks to their efforts and hard work the disruption in terms of water supply to customers was minimal.

‘Supplies have now been fully restored to the area.

‘As a result, severe damage was done to the road itself causing it to be structurally unsound which has resulted in the need for a section of London Road to be closed.’

Engineers will be on site all day to repair the damage.

One lane of the road will be opened up at around 6am tomorrow morning and this will be controlled by two-way traffic lights.

Today, as the road closure caused rush-hour hold-ups on other main roads in the city, shopkeepers were surveying the damage.

As they began to sweep away mud and debris, they said that there were no structural problems with their properties.

Portsmouth Water said that supplies to homes should have be working as normal and asked anyone experiencing problems to contact the company.

Main picture by Hampshire Police via Twitter