Warning after candle blaze

Some of the items

Picture of Alan Shearer holds clue to find owner of stolen goods

0
Have your say

HAMPSHIRE Fire and Rescue Service has reminded the public to be careful with candles following a recent incident.

Firefighters were called to deal with a small fire caused by unattended candles in Bitterne, Southampton, on Monday night.

National statistics show that during 2011/2012, a total of 952 fires in the UK were caused by candles. These resulted in nine fatalities and 368 injuries.

Group manager Stew Adamson said: ‘Candles may give a warm glow to a room during the winter but we urge the public to be careful with them.

‘Left unattended, an open flame in your home could easily leave a trail of devastation.’