Warning after chimney fire sparks at Havant home

Portchester Fire Station

UPDATE: Six crews put out house fire in North End

0
Have your say

HOMEOWNERS have been warned to keep their chimneys clear when using them after a blaze yesterday.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue has issued the warning following the incident at a home in Barncroft Way, Havant.

A crew from Cosham was called to the terraced property at 12.20pm after the fire caught light inside the chimney of the house.

On this occasion, officers were able to get on the scene quickly enough to extinguish the blaze before any serious damage could be done.

However, the situation could have been much worse, the service has warned.

A spokesman from Cosham is now urging the public to take care as the winter cold snap continues.

He said: ‘There is a definite safety message we would like to get out to the public: if you’re using a chimney make sure it is swept by a professional on a regular basis.

‘Chimney fires are on the rise as more people are using them to stay warm in winter.’

For more details, visit hantsfire.gov.uk/keeping-safe /loveyourhome/firehazards/chimney