Warning after West Sussex family escape blaze

Nigel Hall was jailed for five years

Paedophile who molested boy with autism at Portsmouth Harbour train station is jailed for five years

Have your say

A DISHWASHER catching fire while a family were sleeping has led to a safety warning.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is urging people to take extra care when leaving appliances such as dishwashers, tumble dryers and washing machines on overnight.

It comes after firefighters were called to a house fire in West Sussex in which the kitchen became engulfed in flames and smoke poured through the house.

The family were able to get out thanks to a working smoke alarm.

Firefighter Joe Bullingham, from West Sussex Fire and Rescue, said: ‘We all lead busy lives and while we think we are saving time by turning appliances on to run overnight or away from the home, people are not always considering the dangers involved.

‘Appliances such as dishwashers, washing machines and tumble dryers can overheat or be subject to an electrical fault which could start off as something minor but can have a devastating outcome if left undetected and a fire starts as a result. We urge people to make sure they have a working smoke alarm and that is tested regularly.’