Warning as hot coals start fire in Southsea refuse bin

Chloe Postlethwaite, right, and Amber Kalliari

Two missing teenage girls may be in Gosport

Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS have repeated warnings about putting disposable barbecues in waste bins after one caught fire at Canoe Lake.

Crews from Southsea fire station were called to the lake on Saturday evening after a bin burned to the ground.

The fire was quickly put out but firefighters are reminding people not to put hot barbecues in regular bins as the warm coals can start fires.

The fire at Canoe Lake is the latest in a string of similar fires in recent weeks.

Southsea crew manager Jasper Taylor said: ‘People need to make sure their barbecues are out and make sure they are putting them in the right bins.

‘We are trying to make people more aware and when it’s nice weather we will go down there and talk to people about it.

‘The council must be going through bins 10 to the dozen at the moment.’

The Canoe Lake fire was the start of a busy night for Southsea’s fire crews, who were also called to several automatic fire alarms throughout the night.