Warnings over dangers of smoking at home

Police outside student accommodation in Stanhope Road, Portsmouth on Friday Picture Ben Fishwick

Man arrested in Portsmouth explosives probe at Stanhope Road student block is released by police

Have your say

SMOKERS are warned that lighting up at home is the single biggest killer in house fires.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service says habits such as smoking while drinking alcohol at home or lighting up in bed are responsible for one in three deaths in accidental blazes.

Now they are urging smokers to realise the dangers of lighting up at home and ensure they have working smoke alarms ahead of National No Smoking Day on Wednesday.

A Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: ‘Smokers not giving up should still be aware of the fire risks they face, cut out dangerous habits, install smoke alarms on every level of the home and test them weekly.

‘A working smoke alarm means you are more than twice as likely to survive an accidental house fire.

People are also urged to avoid drugs and alcohol when smoking, never smoke in bed or leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended and use a heavy ashtray made out of material that won’t burn and can’t tip over easily.

To find out more visit direct.gov.uk/firekills.