Washing machine sparks fire in Portsmouth

Not all lorries entering the UK through Portsmouth port will be checked after Brexit

Post-Brexit plan to not check lorries ‘won’t affect security’ at Portsmouth port, says transport secretary

Have your say

FIVE fire engines attended a flat fire in Landport this morning.

The fire had broken out in a washing machine in an apartment on the first floor of Crown Court, Crown Street.

Emergency services were called at 9.45am – three appliances from Southsea and two from Cosham attended.

Cosham watch manager Kevin Lloyd Spencer said: ‘There was a small fire in the washing machine in the first floor flat in Crown Court.

‘It was out on arrival, but because the fire is in a high rise building we follow procedure and deploy more fire engines in case the fire was higher up.

‘We believe the fire was started due to an electrical fault.’

No one was injured.