FOOD banks say they have been overwhelmed by the generosity of readers as The News Christmas food appeal continues.
The appeal, which runs until Christmas Eve, has been set up to enable people to make donations to those in need in our communities at this special time of year.
And the response so far has been phenomenal.
Phil Rutt is from the Fareham and Gosport Basics Food Bank.
So far, they have collected at least six full trolleys of food from Sainsbury’s in Fareham, and more at Tesco in Fareham.
He said: ‘It’s fantastic. The News’ appeal has had an impact across a number of areas, not just individuals but organisations.
‘The generosity of people is overwhelming.
‘It’s absolutely wonderful. And it still keeps coming in.’
And Phil said he hopes that the appeal will encourage more people to donate all year round.
‘I hope that some people are going to support us regularly, not just once a year which is absolutely brilliant.
‘With some bank branches, we are talking about potential regular donations through their customers.
‘The impact as far as I can see has been outstanding.’
Readers are asked to donate an extra food item when out shopping which can then be dropped off at participating venues.
The food is organised and distributed to food banks, refuges and shelters in the area.
Phil added: ‘It makes a huge difference.
‘We have had families coming in.
‘The generosity of people in the community enables us to be generous to people who are in genuine need.
‘We are delighted with the response we have received from the appeal.’
You can donate staple foods such as pasta and rice, tins of vegetables and soup.
But luxuries such as biscuits, boxes of chocolates and mince pies are also in high demand to give people a festive treat.
Donations can be made up until Christmas Eve.
Any leftover donations will go straight on to the shelves of the food bank for the rest of the year.
Where can you donate Christmas food to our appeal?
- Sainsbury’s, Farlington
- Asda, Fratton
- Tesco, Crasswell Street
- Morrisons, Anchorage Park
- Morrisons, Victory Retail Park
- Sainsbury’s, Commercial Road
- Salvation Army, Lake Road, Monday - Friday, 10am to 3pm
- Pompey in the Community, Anson Road, Fratton, Monday - Friday, 9am to 5pm
- The News, Lakeside, North Harbour
- Morrisons, Horndean
- Asda, Portland Road
- Sainsburys, Hambledon Road (opens on Wednesday)
- Waterlooville Food Bank, Monday - 9.30am to 11.30am, Friday - 12pm to 2pm, Wecock Church, Kite Close
- Asda, Speedfields Park
- Sainsbury’s, Broadcut
- Tesco, Quay Street
- Fareham and Gosport Basics Food Bank, Mon/Wed/Fri - 1pm to 3pm, Aspect House, Westbury Road, Fareham.
- The News, West Street
- Morrisons, Walpole Road
- Tesco, Alver Valley
- Portsdown Community Church, weekday mornings 10am to 12.30pm, The Beacon, 69-73 Meridian Centre, Havant