THESE teenagers are preparing for an epic 24 hour trek – without any training.
The A-level students from Havant College will set off on Sunday evening from London’s Olympic Stadium on a walk along the Thames Path for the charity Sport Relief. They hope to cover at least 50 miles. The five will join thousands of others holding sporting fundraising events across the country this weekend.
James Freeman, 19, from Haslemere Road, Southsea, is one of the organisers of the event but admits he hasn’t done much training.
He said: ‘I think we’ll be able to finish as we all do a lot of sport so we are fit and healthy.
‘The longest walk I’ve done in preparation is about 15 miles but I’m sure adrenaline will keep us going.
’We’re taking pasta with us and special carbohydrate gel for energy.
‘But basically we’re just going to go for it.’
James and his friends Arjun Patel, Max Winterflood, Elliott Gill, Phil Jennions and Gareth Watley are all A-level students and James organised the event as part of his leisure studies course.
He said: ‘I wanted to do something that was a big challenge and a bit different to other fundraising events.
‘We’ve looked into all the health and safety aspects and we will all be wearing our Sport Relief T-shirts to make it obvious that we’re on a challenge. We’re not nervous as the Thames footpath is well lit and we’ll be in a group,
‘We start at 7pm on Sunday and the 50 miles will take us approximately past Staines, and just across the Berkshire and Surrey border.’
While most of the walkers are due to head off to university when their courses finish in June, James is hoping to go travelling and believes this adventure will stand him in good stead.
Sport Relief begins today and runs until Sunday.
To sponsor James and his friends go to justgiving.com/havantcollegewalk
· Holding a Sport Relief event? If so email your pictures, and contact details, to email@example.com
· Solent Junior School, Cosham – paying £1 to take part in Olympic sports
· South Downs College - students cycling or running a mile
· Staff and customers at Nandos, Gunwharf, cycling 1,220 miles on exercise bikes
· Linvoy Primus will join pupils at Milton Cross School, Portsmouth
· Mill Hill Primary School pupils, in Waterlooville to walk one mile around school grounds
· Havant Borough Council one mile run at Staunton Country Park at 2pm Sunday