Wedding day smiles... but days later she lost her cancer fight

SMILES Andy Simpson and Rosie Munro-Simpson with son Oakley on their wedding day
SMILES Andy Simpson and Rosie Munro-Simpson with son Oakley on their wedding day

Wallet taken from vehicle

Have your say

HUSBAND Andy Simpson has paid a loving tribute to his wife who died just three days after they were married.

Rosie Munro-Simpson organised the wedding ceremony at the Rowans Hospice in Purbrook knowing she didn’t have long left to live.

With husband Andy and son Oakley by her side she battled through the pain to take her vows.

The young mum, who was fighting terminal cancer, died just three days later.

Andy said: ‘She loved the day but she was very weak.

‘She had to have little breaks. The reception was at a friend’s house and we drove down and put Rosie on a sofa bed.

‘It was a lovely day and when she was feeling strong enough people went in to see her and she gathered everyone around her for photographs. She was enjoying chatting to everyone. She definitely didn’t realise then it was only going to be another three days.’

Rosie, a 29-year-old child minder of Frogmore Road, Fratton, went to the doctors three years ago suffering from bloatedness and was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries.

But when she went in to have the cysts removed they found she had stage four ovarian cancer.

A hysterectomy followed which removed most of the cancer and Rosie, a child minder, underwent 18 months of three different types of chemotherapy in a bid to remove the rest.

Andy 29, who works for IBM, said: ‘All the way through the chemo she was working and had 14 children in the house. She’d have chemo in the morning and would pick the kids up from school in the afternoon. It kept her distracted.’

But 18 months ago the doctors told Rosie there was nothing more they could do and she had nine months to live.

‘She wouldn’t stand for it,’ said Andy. ‘She went down the alternative route and had spiritual healing, reiki and healthy eating.

‘The healing made her positive and she found out a lot about herself. There were childhood issues that she got over and she was looking to the future all the time. Her personality was such that she wouldn’t let anything beat her, she would fight it.’

In the two weeks leading up to Rosie’s death, on August 24, she went in and out of Queen Alexandra Hospital, Cosham and The Rowans.

The couple decided to marry ‘just in case’.

She mustered up all her energy to pick a dress, organise a registrar and they were married in Rosie’s bedroom at The Rowans.

‘The night before she died she said: “I’m just going through a rough patch. I’ve got to fight a bit harder”.

‘And she convinced me, her mum, everyone.’

Since Rosie’s death Andy has put up pictures of the wedding so that his wife is always there and explained as best he can to five-year-old Oakley that his mummy isn’t coming back.

‘We refuse to sit around and feel sorry for ourselves,’ he said. ‘We have to crack on with our lives.’

Rosie’s ashes were scattered into the sea

ROSIE’S wish was to be cremated and have her ashes scattered at sea.

She loved to walk along Southsea seafront, even when she was very close to the end.

Now her friends and family are holding a fundraising day on November 13 to raise enough money to pay for a memorial bench and to donate to Ovarian Cancer Research and The Rowans Hospice.

The day will begin with a sponsored walk/skate/trike/bike from Canoe Lake to Clarence Pier.

From 4pm there will be events at the Blue Lagoon, in Hilsea.

There will be children’s events and a raffle.

In the evening there will be a quiz and an auction with signed Manchester United and Pompey memorabilia.

The evening finishes with a Mr Portsmouth 2011 competition. Entry is £10.

Call Charlene Harris on 07791 190470 or donate to the memorial fund go to

their website to donate.