THIS WEEK IN 1971: Workman blown outof trench by gas main

A lucky Leigh Park workman suffered just singed hair and eyebrows after a gas main explosion threw him several feet out of the trench he was working in.

Tuesday, 8th November 2016, 6:00 am
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 3:52 pm

David Moore, 2, pictured, was left shaken after the experience, which occured in a redevelopment area near Lake Road and Fratton Road, Portsmouth.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

‘There was no warning,’ said Mr Moore. ‘I had not even noticed a smell of gas. Afterwards, I was a bit shocked but went to a nearby pub to call the gas board and the fire brigade.’

Firemen extinguished flames within two to three minutes, and gas workers sealed off the main to prevent any further leaks.

City firemen also stood by at another gas main fire during that weekend in Lion Terrace, Portsea.