Winchester Christmas Market is one of the most popular in the country and it will be opening soon. Here’s all you need to know.
When does Winchester Christmas Market start and close?
Recognised as one of the best festive markets in Europe, Winchester’s Christmas Market will open in just over a week.
It will start on Saturday, November 17, and will run until just before Christmas closing on Thursday, December 20.
What times is it open?
Winchester Christmas Market will be open from 10.30am to 6.30pm Sunday – Wednesday and 10.30am to 8.00pm Thursday – Saturday.
Is there an ice rink?
The ice rink will be returning to Winchester Cathedral this winter.
It will run from Saturday, November 17 to Wednesday, January 2, 2019.
The ice rink will once again be covered in part by a roof, to guarantee a rain-free skate, and this year there will also be a Christmas tree in the centre of the rink to fill skaters with festive cheer.
New for 2018 is the Ice Rink Silent Disco, offering skaters the opportunity to skate and dance to a choice of popular tracks using special headphones.
Do you have to pay for entry to Christmas Market?
Entrance to the market itself is free but if you want to go for a skate on the ice rink then you will have to pay.
Child 2-7 £6.95
Child 8-16 £8.95
Parent & Toddler* £11.00
Parent & Toddler Season Ticket £79.50
Off-peak season Ticket £89.50
Booking fees apply.
Is there food and drink?
As usual there will be plenty of food and drink options at the chalets including mulled wine, bratwurst, mince pies and stollen.
Alternatively, the Cathedral Refectory and Ice Rink Café Bar & Kitchen provide a warm and comfortable setting with plenty of seating and great menus.
Where is it?
The Christmas market and ice rink take place in the grounds of Winchester Cathedral in Winchester, Hampshire.
What about parking?
Parking is limited in Winchester city centre and will be congested during the Christmas period.
But here are the parking options for the city:
Park and Ride - Winchester
- East Winchester (Barfield)Barfield Close, SO23 9SQ - 195 spaces £3.00 max
- East Winchester (St Catherines)Garnier Road, SO23 9NP - 583 spaces £3.00 max
- South WinchesterAccess via M3 Junction 11 - 884 spaces £3.00 max
- PittRomsey Road, SO22 5PR - 199 spaces £3.00 max
Pay and Display - Inner Car Parks
- Cattle Market Worthy Lane, SO23 7AB - 202 spaces £7.00 max
- Chesil Street Multi Storey Barfield Close, SO23 0HU - 616 spaces £7.00 max
- Coach Park Worthy Lane, SO23 7AB - 100 spaces £7.00 max
- Durngate Durngate Place, SO23 8DX - 66 spaces £7.00 max
- River Park Leisure CentreGordon Road, SO23 7DD - 182 spaces £15.00 max
- Worthy Lane Worthy Lane, SO23 7AB - 150 spaces £7.00 max
Pay and Display - Centre Car Parks
- Colebrook Street Colebrook Street, SO23 9LH - 86 spaces £15.00 max
- Cossack Lane Cossack Lane, SO23 8DQ - 39 spaces £15.00 max
- Gladstone Street Gladstone Street, SO23 8TQ - 113 spaces £15.00 max
- Friarsgate Tanner Street, SO23 8AD – 72 spaces £15.00 max
- Jewry Street Jewry Street, SO23 8RY - 44 spaces £15.00 max
- St Peter's Gordon Road, SO23 7DD - 165 spaces £15.00 max
- Tower Street Tower Street, SO23 8TA - 515 spaces £15.00 max
- Upper Brook Street Upper Brook Street, SO23 8AR - 58 spaces £15.00 max
- Guildhall Yard (Saturdays Only) Colebrook Street, SO23 9LJ - 43 spaces £15.00 max
What about public transport?
Winchester railway station is within walking distance of the Cathedral and Christmas Market.