Windsurfer died of heart trouble while out in the Solent

Have your say

HEART problems led to the death of a windsurfer.

The inquest of Sean Boyle revealed that an irregular heartbeat and blocking of the main arteries into the heart led to his death in November last year.

The active 53-year-old, from Hilsea, was windsurfing in the Solent on November 22 when he suffered cardiac arrest. He was found by people sailing in a dinghy and was brought ashore.

Despite the efforts of paramedics, Mr Boyle was pronounced dead at Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham.

At the inquest, held at Portsmouth Guildhall, a pathologist’s report noted Mr Boyle had arrhythmia – an irregular heartbeat – and 95 per cent of his coronary arteries were blocked.

Dr Nicholas Shepherd, who wrote the report, said there was no evidence of drowning.

‘I did find an abrasion on the back of Mr Boyle’s head but it did not cause a fracture,’ he said.

‘It seemed either he suffered with the arrhythmia causing him to slip off his board and knock his head or he slipped off and it was hitting his head and going into the cold water which caused the arrhythmia.

‘There was no post-mortem evidence that he drowned.’

Mr Boyle’s daughter Amy said her dad did have breathing problems but did not like going to the doctor.

She said: ‘He hardly ever went to the doctors even though he had high cholesterol and high blood pressure.

‘He did get given medication but he never took it.

‘Dad just didn’t like seeing the doctor.

‘Sometimes he suffered with breathing problems or chest pains.’

The inquest heard evidence from Mr Boyle’s friend Paul Taylor who was windsurfing with him at the time.

He said the pair had been windsurfing together for six months and would go out most weekends.

‘We tried to get down the water as often as we could,’ he said.

‘On the day, the weather was calm and when we got to the water, Sean told me to follow him.

‘But he was going too quickly and I couldn’t keep up.

‘I stayed in the bay and the next thing I knew, he had gone.’

In his conclusion, coroner David Horsley ruled the death was due to natural causes.

He said: ‘It is very sad that an active man has died like this.’