Witnesses told today how they saw fire sweep through a Cowplain home.
Householders were evacuated as the blaze ripped through the house in Curlew Gardens.
Sharon Silvester (pictured), 52, from nearby Bunting Gardens, said she couldn’t believe the fire hadn’t spread to the neighbouring houses.
‘We heard a crackling, popping sound and went out to see what was happening.
‘I couldn’t believe it when we saw the fire; it was leaping around everywhere and looked absolutely awful.
‘Seeing such an intense fire at that time in the morning was a complete shock, but the firefighters deserve a medal for stopping it from spreading.
‘It looked completely horrendous and I was sure all the houses were going to go up, they did a fantastic job.
‘I just hope no one was seriously hurt.’
Sophie Grace, 17, from Curlew Gardens, saw the house on fire across the street from her bedroom window.
‘I heard a huge bang and the sound of glass smashing,’ she said. ‘And when I looked out the window the whole front of the house was on fire.
‘The upstairs floor of the house was the worst, and there was loads of thick black smoke and flames going high up into the sky.
‘I could hear a woman screaming “help me, help me”, but she was outside the house and didn’t look hurt. There were fire engines and ambulances everywhere.’