Woman dies in Stubbington flat fire

Fire in a house in Spencer Court, off Mark's Road, Stubbington.
Fire in a house in Spencer Court, off Mark's Road, Stubbington.
Picture: Malcolm Wells

Five reasons to buy Saturday’s The News - including a great magazine and a nostalgia special

Have your say

A WOMAN has died following a severe fire in a ground floor flat.

Fire crews were called to Mark’s Road, in Stubbington, at 11.23pm last night.

A total of 21 firefighters – two crews from Fareham, one from Cosham and one from Gosport – attended.

Police are not treating the fire as suspicious.

Fareham crew manager Mark Ryder said: ‘The call came in as a fire and when we got there it was a severe fire in the ground floor flat.

‘One person was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation and a woman in her 50s died in the fire.

‘We managed to control and put out the fire within half an hour.

‘Due to the level of damage caused and a fatality, a police and fire investigation will be launched today.’

Crews from Fareham stayed at the flat until 3.30am today.

Neighbours today told of their shock at the death of the woman, who was named locally as Alison.

Jayne Smart, 43, of Mark’s Road, said: ‘She was a lovely and genuine lady. I had known her for quite a few years. I first use to see her when I was pregnant with my little one and she would always stop to ask how things were. We would chat in the village and she would tell me about her life - going to the bingo and the social club or whatever. She loved life. She was always smiling - it’s just so sad.’

Margaret Etherington, 81, who lives in the flat opposite, said: ‘She used to come over and have a chat - usually about once a week. She loved to talk a lot. She was nice, but now and again she got confused. It was only my birthday last week and I’ve still got the flowers she gave me.’