Woman’s shock as friend plunges to death from flat

TRAGEDY Main picture, Tipton House and inset, Jessie Knight
TRAGEDY Main picture, Tipton House and inset, Jessie Knight
Langton Road, Bishop's Waltham Picture: Google

Rogue landlord must pay £8,000 for taking tenant’s bed in illegal eviction

Have your say

A 71-YEAR-OLD man died after he fell from a window from the 16th storey of a block of flats.

The man had been visiting friend Jessie Knight at her home in Tipton House, Warwick Crescent, Southsea.

Police say they are trying to establish whether he had any living relatives.

Officers were called to the address at just after 11pm on Tuesday to reports of a man falling from the building.

Ms Knight, 71, said: ‘I was lying on the couch and he was sitting on the chair.

‘I had asked him if he wanted a cup of tea or anything to eat, but he just said no.

‘The window was open because it was quite hot.

‘I then fell asleep, but woke up later and couldn’t see my friend.

‘I had heard a bang and thought it came from the kitchen.

‘I checked my bedroom, kitchen, bathroom and the landing, but couldn’t see him.

‘Then the police knocked on my door and said someone had fallen from my window.

‘It was my friend.’

He had fallen from the window – around 130ft high.

‘I had known him for almost 20 years,’ added Ms Knight.

‘I had met him at a betting shop.

‘He was a patient at St James’s Hospital, and had been in and out of there.

‘When I saw him last he was happy and was talking to me.

‘Before he had said he was unhappy because he had no money or family and he wanted to kill himself.

‘I told him he was being silly.’

Hampshire police, who did not release details of the tragedy until contacted by The News, have said that the death is not being treated as suspicious.

Detective Sergeant Mark Hall, from Portsmouth CID, said: ‘Police were called at about 11pm to reports a man had fallen from Tipton House, Warwick Crescent, Southsea.

‘Officers discovered the body of a 71-year-old man.

‘It is believed he had fallen from a window of one of the flats in the tower block.

‘Police are not treating the death as suspicious and are preparing a file for the coroner.’

The ambulance service was also present.

A spokeswoman from South Central Ambulance Service said: ‘We were called after 11pm on Tuesday to Warwick Crescent to reports of a patient in a life-threatening condition, following a fall.

‘An ambulance was called and the patient had passed away at the scene.

‘We treated one person for shock, but no one was taken to hospital.’