Woman saved from Portsmouth flat fire

Portchester Fire Station

UPDATE: Six crews put out house fire in North End

Have your say

FIRE crews went to a home in the early hours of yesterday morning after residents called on behalf of one of their neighbours.

The neighbours heard a smoke alarm going off inside a first floor flat in Anchorage Park, Portsmouth at about 2.20am but could not wake up woman who lived in the home.

When firefighters arrived they checked through the letter box and saw the flat was full of smoke.

With no answer to the door they forced their way in and woke up the woman, who is thought to be in her mid 40s, and discovered she had fallen asleep with her oven on.

Crew members said this showed how important a smoke alarm was and said they wanted to remind all residents to check their own alarms are working.