Woman tells of fire drama in Portsmouth home

Crews were called to a chip pan fire, extractor fan blaze and car crash
Crews were called to a chip pan fire, extractor fan blaze and car crash
Police outside student accommodation in Stanhope Road, Portsmouth on Friday Picture Ben Fishwick

Man arrested in Portsmouth explosives probe at Stanhope Road student block is released by police

Have your say

A WOMAN poured water on a fire at her flat to save her sister, who had passed out because of smoke.

Colleen Pritchard, of Rochford Road, Paulsgrove, woke up to find the fire in her kitchen about 2.30am on Wednesday.

Ms Pritchard said she used water to put out the fire herself before the fire service arrived because she feared for her sister, Katie, who was on the kitchen floor.

The 33-year-old said her three children aged four, 10 and 12 were in bed when the fire broke out.

‘We all went to bed as normal. My sister woke up, went into the kitchen and passed out from the flames and smoke.

‘My daughter woke up to go to the toilet and saw the smoke and my sister passed out on the floor.’

Ms Pritchard saidr a Sony docking station was sitting on the glass surface of the oven, but the oven had been turned off at the wall and was not the cause of the fire.

‘The oven hob wasn’t on. It was turned off at the mains on the wall,’ she said.

‘The cause of the fire was the alarm clock docking station, the chord was only burned from halfway up.’

They were taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.