Young worker, 21, was electrocuted at factory

Mark Thistlethwayte will be joining the Pompey CEO Sleepout on Monday at Fratton Park

New high sheriff of Hampshire joins Pompey CEO Sleepout effort

Have your say

A LIVE wire which electrocuted a 21-year-old worker at a factory was left in a ‘precarious and dangerous’ way, an inquest into his death was told.

Bradley Watts died in June 2011 when he was working as a contractor for Natures Way Foods in Merston, Chichester.

A four-day hearing in Chichester was told Bradley was working in the roof space insulating pipes for his uncle’s company, Mistley Insulation Services, which was subcontracted by Danston Technical Services.

Friend and colleague Luke Simpson said Bradley was climbing over two pipes when he got a huge electric shock.

David McGarvey, a processing engineer, discovered the unearthed wire.

He said: ‘The cable was about 18in from the walkway. It was just lying there – it was very evident.’

Craig Gridlestone, director of Danston Technical Services, said: ‘It was low-risk work.’

Assistant coroner Elisabeth Bussey-Jones, recording a verdict of accidental death, said the cable was left in a ‘precarious and dangerous place’.

She added: ‘We know a full police investigation has taken place and we know there is an ongoing health and safety investigation.’

Bradley’s mum Mandy Watts, from Essex, said: ‘Words will never express the pain a mother feels at the death of her son. I will never see him get married or start a family.’