GENEROUS members of a Zumba club have managed to gather several boxes of food for The News Christmas Food Appeal.
The ladies at Pauline Grant’s dance class, at St Jude’s Primary School, in Bishopsfield Road, Fareham, have gone all out to donate food this Christmas.
This is the second time they have done the campaign and have put their all into it.
Pauline, 39, said: ‘Every year, we hold a Christmas party with music and we all dress up but it never seems right.
‘That isn’t what Christmas is about so I wanted to do something more.
‘So last year we decided to do the food appeal and the ladies really liked it.
‘They were asking in November when we would start collecting again. We have put our all into it and collected about five or six boxes.’
The News started the food appeal to help brighten up the Christmas of less fortunate people.
Readers are asked to donate an extra food item when out shopping which can then be dropped off at participating venues.
The food is organised and distributed to food banks, refuges and shelters in the area.
Pauline added: ‘Several of the ladies have said they like this appeal because the food helps local people.
‘They know that they are helping people in the area who need it and they can see the benefits.
‘They have been so generous and the good thing about it is anyone can contribute.
‘It only costs 50p for beans so people going through difficult times can still help. But then people who want to give more or buy more luxury items can.’
Luxuries such as biscuits, boxes of chocolates and mince pies are also in high demand at food banks to get people into the festive mood.
Across the area trolleys have been filling up but it’s not over yet. Donations can be made up until Christmas Eve.
Any leftover donations will go straight on to the shelves of the food bank.
Where can you donate Christmas food to our appeal?
- Sainsbury’s, Farlington
- Asda, Fratton
- Tesco, Crasswell Street
- Morrisons, Anchorage Park
- Morrisons, Victory Retail Park
- Sainsbury’s, Commercial Road
- Salvation Army, Lake Road, Monday - Friday, 10am to 3pm
- Pompey in the Community, Anson Road, Fratton, Monday - Friday, 9am to 5pm
- The News, Lakeside, North Harbour
- Morrisons, Horndean
- Asda, Portland Road
- Sainsburys, Hambledon Road (opens on Wednesday)
- Waterlooville Food Bank, Monday - 9.30am to 11.30am, Friday - 12pm to 2pm, Wecock Church, Kite Close
- Asda, Speedfields Park
- Sainsbury’s, Broadcut
- Tesco, Quay Street
- Fareham and Gosport Basics Food Bank, Mon/Wed/Fri - 1pm to 3pm, Aspect House, Westbury Road, Fareham.
- The News, West Street
- Morrisons, Walpole Road
- Tesco, Alver Valley
- Portsdown Community Church, weekday mornings 10am to 12.30pm, The Beacon, 69-73 Meridian Centre, Havant