Fareham takeaway loses fight with council to remove requirement for door staff to be on duty

Fareham Charcoal Grill in West Street, Fareham
Fareham Charcoal Grill in West Street, Fareham
  • Fareham takeaway will still have door staff on duty during select hours and days after meeting
  • Charcoal Grill in West Street has been named a ‘trouble spot’ for drunk residents
0
Have your say

A TAKEAWAY has lost a fight with a council to remove door staff from its premises over concerns the shop is a ‘trouble spot’.

Fareham Charcoal Grill, in West Street, has been forced to pay for two door staff to operate from midnight to closing time since 2010 due to a catalogue of incidents there.

The shop has really been a trouble spot for Fareham in the past

Councillor Pam Bryant, chairman of Fareham Borough Council’s licensing panel

However, after door staff were not seen on duty during several visits from police officers in recent months – and after the takeaway’s new manager, Adem Yorulmaz, insisted he was not aware of the requirement – Mr Yorulmaz and owner Jihad Haji sought to remove the requirement last week.

The meeting, held by Fareham Borough Council’s licensing panel, saw the enforcement remain, but was reduced to only one member of security staff and will apply only on Friday and Saturday nights as well as Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve.

The decision was reached after PC Jason Pearce, from Fareham police’s licensing unit, suggested a compromise.

A report from the officer ahead of the meeting said the police had been called to various incidents at the takeaway this year, including incidents of assaults, a mirror being smashed and a man threatening to shoot staff.

Councillor Pamela Bryant, chairwoman of the licensing panel, said: ‘The shop has really been a trouble spot for Fareham in the past.

‘However, the manager said they could not afford to keep the store open if they had two security staff there every night.

‘So we decided that we couldn’t let the business be run at a loss, and agreed to the compromise.’

Cllr Bryant added that despite the takeaway’s troubled past, the number of incidents at the shop had decreased since the closure of Chicago Rock Cafe in Vannes Parade back in May 2013.

Neither Mr Yorulmaz or Mr Haji wished to comment.